|Click on the titles at the right for PowerPoints of photos of Bev & Mal's Norfolk Island Discovery Tour, 27 December 2008 - 04 January 2009.|
Saturday 27 December 2008:
- Fly Townsville to Brisbane to Norfolk Island.
- Settle in to the Governor's Lodge Resort and check out the Burnt Pine Township, including the RSL Club (magnificent view from the back verandah of the RSL Club).
- Enjoy dinner with other APT Discoverers' Club travellers.
Sunday 28 December 2008:
- Half-day Orientation Bus Tour of Norfolk Island in the morning includes the local Sunday Markets.
- Pre-dinner drinks at 10 Quality Row in the historic Kingston area, followed by a delicious BBQ dinner amongst the ruins of the old Hospital from the second Convict Settlement (This was the site of Phillip Gidley King's residence during the first Convict Settlement).
Monday 29 December 2008:
- Morning is free time for some retail therapy.
- A "Long Lunch" (12 noon to 4:45 pm) starting at Two Chimneys' Winery for wine tasting and entree, followed by main course, dessert and coffee at Dino's at Bumboras.
- The planned "Wonderland by Night" tour is postponed till Thursday because of the rain.
Tuesday 30 December 2008:
- A half day 4WD adventure tour to discover remote parts of the island ends with coffee, scones and banana cake on Mrs Christian's verandah, together with a sing-along with Tony and his ukulele.
- An opportunity to do some washing in the afternoon (guest laundry of the Governor's Lodge Resort).
- A Fish Fry at Puppy's Point is accompanied with song and dance, and followed by the re-enactment of the "Mutiny on the Bounty", with players actual descendants of the original mutineers.
Wednesday 31 December 2008
- A "free" morning to spend money at the shops buying souvenirs of Norfolk Island.
- An afternoon "Farm & Industry" Bus Tour - Market Garden, Piggery, Kentia Palm seedlings, local coffee, Dorper sheep, liqueur tasting (made from local fruits) - and a commentary from the bus driver which covered an interesting array of information about Norfolk Island.
- New Year's Eve dinner, an open bar courtesy of APT, a Dolly Parton look-alike show and a lot of fun to herald in the New Year!
Thursday 01 January 2009
- A "free" day on our itinerary - we had a hire car booked from 8:30 am and visited the Golf Course (Bev played nine holes), the historic cemetery, had a hamper lunch at Emily Bay, went back to the Kingston Military Barracks for a few photos, visited the Botanic Gardens, Cascade Bay (old Whaling Station), and had a general look around.
- That night we did "Wonderland by Night", postponed from earlier in the week because of the weather. Bought a copy of Archie's delightful bush poetry.
Friday 02 January 2009
- An Historical Bus Tour in the morning and an Art Trail in the afternoon.
- "Convict Night" in the evening - a great time was had by all.
Saturday 03 January 2009
- A Bush Walk through the National Park to the Captain Cook Memorial before breakfast. Breakfast overlooking Anson Bay.
- Got dropped off at the mall on the way back from the bush walk and breakfast, to check out the photos from last night's Convict Night. More shopping in Burnt Pine as we made our way back to the Governor's Lodge Resort.
- Cultural Tour in the afternoon - Island cooking, bone carving, wood turning, Norfolk Island language and weaving.
- Farewell Dinner at the Restaurant at Governor' Lodge Resort. Kane, as usual, looked after us very well. (The food was magnificent and the wine glass was never empty).
Sunday 04 January 2009
- A visit to the Sunday Markets (in the rain) in the morning.
- The 737 flight back to Brisbane in the afternoon.